Yes, my name really is Nutschell (my friends back in the Philippines used to call me “Nuts”)—and I am a Writing Nut– hence the title of this blog.
I’ve always been nuts about writing, but I never had the inclination to take it seriously. But I woke up one day and realized that life is too short for “could have beens” or “what ifs”. So I decided to fulfill a dream I’ve had since I was a little girl with pigtails (yes, I did wear pigtails once) –to write a book and become a published author.
Since I took the leap into the world of writing, my life has changed drastically.
I’ve learned that writing is all about People—the people we meet who inspire our stories, the people we write our stories for, and the people who help our writing dreams come true.
Thanks to this gained wisdom, I’ve started this blog, finished a middle grade contemporary fantasy novel and young adult urban fantasy novel, and I’ve also become an active member of the writing community.
I joined the SCBWI (Society for Children’s Books Writers and Illustrators. Currently I’m a member of the SCBWI-L.A. Board, acting as the Contest Coordinator. I also attend various book signings in the area, and have recently joined the Write On to Build On group, to make sure I keep on writing.
More importantly, I founded the Children’s Book Writers of Los Angeles (CBW-LA) , and we are currently in the process of taking it non-profit.
Of course, aside from these various writing group members, I continue to learn about the craft of writing by reading volumes upon volumes of children’s books, fantasy books, and books on writing; and by attending various writing conferences and workshops.
Although writing is my passion, and takes up majority of my time, I also have other interests which I pursue, and I find that they improve my writing immensely. After all, the best way to come up with story-worthy ideas is to live a story-worthy life.
12 Random Facts About Me
1. I graduated from college with a BA in Psychology.
2. After graduating from college, I went back to High School—this time as an English Teacher.
3. I’m currently working as an accounting clerk, even though I hated Math all throughout my school years.
4. I train with the Los Angeles Doce Pares in the Multi-Style Filipino Martial Art of Escrima. I now know how to fight with sticks, knives, swords and yes, my bare hands—comes in handy when writing action scenes for my novels.
5. I enjoy singing and playing the guitar. I was a member of the Faculty Choir and the Faculty Band back when I taught at Miriam College High School in the Philippines.
With Faculty Bandmates, 2005
6. I’ve always loved Photography. One day I hope to take actual lessons, but for now I’m a self-taught Photography-junkie.
7. I can play the drums. Not as well as I’d like, but good enough to drive the cats away.
8. I love playing B sports—Basketball, Badminton, and Bowling. I have yet to try Baseball.
9. I used to play a lot of pool (billiards). In fact, I have my very own pool sticks.
10. I can draw/sketch. I love sketching with pencils and charcoal.
11. I love traveling.
12. I can make some mean desserts. My leche flan, marshmallow cloud cookies and oreo cheesecake are to die for.
28,156 total views, 1 views today